Innovation from Surrey Brass
Surrey Brass is the "innovative and entertaining brass ensemble". Here are some of the innovative things we've commissioned since our inauguration.
- Golden Jubilee Fanfare Contest - A composing competition won by John Hughes (Listen to recordings of the Golden Jubilee Fanfares).
- World Premiere of "Pitch Black" by Joby Talbot. Surrey Brass premiered this piece written by Joby whilst he was a student, very early in its development during the concert British Brass - Hampton Hill - 8 March 2003.
- World Premiere of Concorde by Rob Davies who created a musical portrait of the aeroplane.
- World Premiere of The Energy Suite by Barry Forgie reflects man's use of energy through the ages - in jazz. In these days of climate change this issue is never more important.
- Loud Music for Silent Films - New music for Silent Films created by John Hughes and Rob Davies to commemorate the earliest days of the British Film industry at the at the turn of the 19th century, by Cecil Hepworth who created miniature masterpieces at his studios in Walton upon Thames.
- Suite for Bass Trumpet by Gordon Carr - A Concerto for Bass Trumpet is a rare, and perhaps unique thing. Surrey Brass commissioned a premiere performance of a new arrangement of this tuneful piece, performed by soloist John Shaddock.
We can't wait to do another innovative project - have you got a bright idea for us? If so please get in touch.