The Stars and Stripes Forever
7.30pm Sat 18th November 2023
St Nicolas’ Church, Guildford GU2 4AW
Admission £10 (under 18s free)
Tickets for this concert are available from www.ticketsource.co.uk
About this Concert
Surrey Brass returns to Guildford, this time performing in what is one of the most easily accessible and central venues in town, to perform a highly varied and cosmopolitan American musical journey at this time of Thanksgiving.
Conducted by Jonathan Spencer, this concert features a dazzling variety of well-known music by American composers, about America, and will feature Surrey Brass and soloists drawn from the ensemble.
We are particularly delighted to be returning to St. Nicholas almost a year to the day after our previous concert, Autumn Leaves - that audience had such a good time we had to return, perhaps it will become an annual event!
Tonight's programme presents a completely different programme of music but retains some of the jazzy flavours from a year ago. We have many brand new arrangements made specially for this concert, many contributed by our conductor Jonathan Spencer and our principal trumpet Michael Chapple. Many thanks for the hours spent arranging dots on lines!
There is just so much to choose from in our music library, we had to make some hard choices to fit in all the music into the time available. We are confident that you will know a lot of it, and will enjoy exploring the music that is new to you.
- Leonard Bernstein - "Candide" Overture
- John Philip Sousa - One of his most famous marches Stars and Stripes Forever.
- George Gershwin - "Got a little Rhythm"
- Hoagy Carmichael - "Stardust" - Featuring Trumpet Soloists Jon Spencer and Huw Evans
- John Williams - "Superman" March / Main Titles
- Henry Fillmore - March - "Rolling Thunder"
- Jim Parker - "Chrysler Building" from "A Londoner in New York"
- Aaron Copland - "Fanfare for the Common Man"
- Florence Price - "Adoration"
- Alan Silvestri - "Back to the Future" Movie Theme
- Scott Joplin - "Easy Winners" Ragtime Music
- Morton Stevens - Theme from "Hawaii 5-0" - one of the best TV themes of all time!
- Nacio Herb Brown -"Singing in the Rain"
- Traditional - "Swing Low Sweet Chariot"
- Burt Bacharach - "What the World Needs Now"
- Cole Porter - "So Nice to Come Home To"
- Enrico Morricone - "Moment for Morricone"
This spacious and comfortable venue also offers a Licensed bar at the interval.