Trombonist, Conductor, Composer and Arranger
Surrey Brass is indeed fortunate to have worked with Bill Geldard for many years. We are grateful for his untiring and generous support, and unfailing good humour and sound advice at rehearsals. Bill has been a stalwart supporter of the ensemble, contributing as a member of the trombone section as well as making a number of superb new arrangements of music especially for us.
It seems that Bill has played with everyone who is anyone, composed and arranged much of the music in the big band and brass band repertoire. Definitely an all-round musician, he is equally comfortable in the orchestra, brass band, and big band - and probably everywhere else too.
Bill contributed to an oral history project, providing informal and anecdotal history of the music, venues and people that defined jazz in the UK which is now lodged in the British Library, ensuring this exciting time in British music is told in the words of someone who lived through it.
Active in music education, Bill's "Daily Exercises for the Bass Trombone" have become a standard for many players of the instrument and his "Beginners Please" solos have started many a trombonist on the road to performance. Bill won an Outstanding Contribution Award in 2019 by the British Trombone Society.
And in 2022 we were delighted to report: Surrey Brass Player in Platinum Jubilee Honours List. Bill had become one of the rarest people in the country - a jazz player awarded the BEM.
Meanwhile the links below tell you a little about this remarkable man whom we cherish at Surrey Brass.
- Read another biography of Bill Geldard
- British Jazz News report of Bill's BEM award
- Bill Geldard interview on BBC Radio in 2016
- MusicBrainz provides details of some of Bill's many compositions, collaborations and recordings.
- Some of Bill's published compositions and arrangements
- Some of his film music is mentioned on IMDB
- Hear Bill's oral history of Jazz in Britain
- Review Bill's history conducting Brass Bands
- Surrey Brass are proud to include this arrangement by Bill in our repertoire.
- A performance of Bill's arrangement of "Dark Eyes"
- As he moves into his 90s, Bill continues to lead and conduct many Big Bands in Surrey, including the Ember Big Band.